Thursday, January 25

Memphis Episode 4 (Good Food!)

by A.man.I
I spent most of my time at the Media Reform conference interviewing folks about citizen journalism related issues for a "how-to" citizen journalism show I'm working on for Black Family Channel. I also made it a point to attend one of the workshops on the MySpace, YouTube social networking phenomena, because I wanted to learn how to best use these sites to spread the word about this blog, and as I've said, it's all about networking.

Blip.tv's co-founder Dina Kaplan was one of the panel members. If you don't know about blip, click this link or visit my blip.tv page. It's like YouTube for the more serious online video producers. The video player is by far the best I've seen on the Internet. After the discussion, people were crowding to talk the panel members. I waited patiently for my chance to speak to Kaplan. When it was my turn, I introduced myself, we exchanged info, and I explained that I wanted to interview her later. There were other folks waiting to talk to her, so I figured it would be best if I didn't hog her time.

Deep down, I didn't even think I would see her again, but at the end of the day on the main floor who do I see? Kaplan. I was curious to know about the company, and how it all started, and the interview was great (I'll post it later). So after we're done with the official stuff, she asks me if I wanted to grab something to eat because she had a taste for some Memphis ribs. I didn't think she was serious, but I said it was a possibility, and we again went our separate ways.

That evening, there was a mixer at the conference hotel. I was chillin' and sippin' a complimentary Corona Extra, when who walks up? Kaplan... again! I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, so the adventure was on. Now check this out, I always keep my Canon Elura 100 camcorder by my side. I call it my spy cam cuz it's small, but shoots nice pics. That evening, I happened to leave it in my hotel room. I was a little bitter at first, but as soon as I said, "I should have brought my camera." Kaplan said, "I have one."

Richard Hall, and his wife Maureen who produce the Richard Show were with her (they also had a camera which came in handy). Turns out Kaplan is a former TV news reporter, like me, and we have a few other things in common as well. That girl can eat, but she didn't know a thang about eating ribs.

Watch the adventure below.

YouTube version
Download video (wmv)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are the best...this is so so fun, and I can't wait for future rib adventures throughout America! Great editing, great blog/great vlog/great hanging out at the conference! Your fan, Dina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home