Monday, November 27

Light a Candle for H.I.V.

From A.man.I

I received an e-mail that I wanted to pass along about an H.I.V. fundraiser (thanks Kelly P).

As World AIDS Day approaches (Dec. 1), we are reminded that millions of people need our help with the AIDS pandemic, but we often think, "What can I do?"

Here is one simple way you can help, and it costs you nothing but a
moment and a mouse click.

Bristol Myers Squibb will donate $1 for every person who goes to their web site and lights a candle to fight AIDS, up to a max of $100,000 (chump change for them, but we'll take it). At this point, the counter is just over 72,400... so we need many more candles lit.

Please go to this link to light a candle... and help spread the light.

LightToUnite

1 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can’t help but be frustrated when I read about yet another pharmaceutical company donating to “the cause” -- in this case to an AIDS organization. There has been so much written about how self-serving some pharmaceutical companies are, but people just don’t seem to “get it.”

For instance, did you know that the studies that are done on drugs are very often paid for by the pharmaceutical companies that developed the drugs? AND, when pharmaceutical companies pay for the "research," the “findings” most often “prove” that the drugs are effective.

It is such a big problem. But if you will visit my website, http://www.honestmedicine.typepad.com, you will find many articles attesting to the unhealthy financial ties between pharmaceutical companies and the physicians who “study” their drugs; and between the pharmaceutical companies and the organizations who are supposed to be advocating for patients. (Please go to the left side of my site, where you will find lots of these articles, under “CANCER” and “Pharmaceutical Companies.”

And for a really shocking exposé of how the “Journal of the American Medical Association” (JAMA) published articles about studies whose physician/authors failed to disclose their financial ties to relevant pharmaceutical companies, please see my 3-part article, “The JAMA Controversy,” at http://301url.com/jama-all .

I wish I knew what the answer was, but I don’t. I just know that the more the public knows, the wiser they will become!

And by the way, do you know how LITTLE $100,000 is to a company like this? It's a drop in the bucket -- and look at the great PR they get!

Thanks.
Julia Schopick
Http://www.honestmedicine.typepad.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home